More people living in HDB flats than before

The number of people living in HDB flats has increased.

According to HDB’s latest Sample Household Survey, the number of Singaporeans and PRs who are flat dwellers, increased 2.7 per cent over 5 years to 2.92 million in 2008.

This figure made up 96 per cent of the total population in HDB flats.The remaining 4 per cent were foreigners, which includes maids and tenants.

The average HDB dweller is also now older at 37 years old, compared to 30 years old about 20 years ago.

Longer life expectancy has also resulted in the proportion of elderly residents aged 65 years and above increasing from 5.4 per cent in 1987 to 9.8 per cent in 2008.

Reflecting a better educated workforce, the proportion of HDB residents with tertiary education has increased to about a third.

Proportionately, more residents were in white-collar jobs from 29.5% in 1998 to 34.5% in 2008.

The average HDB household had an income of $4,238 in 2003.

The housing board said this figure climbed to $5,680 in 2008, reflecting the growing affluence of HDB households.

The survey also found that over 95 per cent of households were satisfied with their flats and neighbourhood.

About 80 per cent of homeowners indicated that they are proud of their flats.

About 85 per cent of homeowners felt that their flats were value for money.

Over the next two months, HDB says it will be releasing more findings on the well-being of the elderly and families, as well as residents’ sense of social well-being.

Source : Channel NewsAsia – 18 Feb 2010

Join The Discussion

Compare listings