Centrepoint to undergo S$50m makeover

Following news that long-time tenants are moving out, Frasers Centrepoint Malls has announced a S$50 million makeover for the Centrepoint mall.

A news release from Frasers Centrepoint on Wednesday (Mar 18) said the 16-month makeover is scheduled to start in May, and will see “major renovation works” on the ground and basement levels. The Orchard Road entrance will be revamped to have wider street frontage and greater shop visibility.

It added that the plan to remake Centrepoint was conceived last year, with the introduction of Metro, a new anchor tenant.

Frasers Centrepoint said when works are done, the mall will have a more open-concept layout, with thematic zones focused on fashion, beauty, lifestyle, sports, dining, and the home. The mall will also have a new tenant mix.

Frasers Centrepoint confirmed on Wednesday that electronics retailer Harvey Norman will also exit the mall, on top of Marks and Spencer and supermarket Cold Storage. In place of Marks and Spencer on levels 2 and 3 and Harvey Norman on Level 3 will be a “gourmet precinct and an expanded fashion zone”.

The mall will remain open to shoppers during the renovation.

Mr Christopher Tang, CEO of Frasers Centrepoint Commercial said he is confident the makeover will inject greater vibrancy into the 32-year-old mall.

“The new Centrepoint will offer more exciting retail, dining and lifestyle options for its patrons. The mall’s improved connectivity, expansion of offerings and distinct frontage will certainly create an integrated identity for The Centrepoint,” said Mr Tang.

Source : Channel NewsAsia – 18 Mar 2015

COMMENTS